The next 72 hours passed in a blur. A blur of extreme nausea and puke, at all hours of the day and night. Dan called the unit on Friday night and they said to take another anti sickness pill. In hindsight I’d probably thrown up all the anti-sickness stuff.  Over the 3 days I managed a couple of pieces of toast and some chicken soup a lovely friend had delivered as meals on wheels, but none stayed down. I sipped water but that came straight back. My brain was utterly befuddled.

In the midst of this Dan was ill on the Saturday with a fever, luckily he was pretty much better by Sunday. Managing Tilly’s requirements was a struggle. We were in a total pickle. Sunday night I received a text from a friend checking we were ok. Very out of character for me I replied that actually we were in need of help. Within 10 minutes she’d made arrangements to save the day, organising friends to whisk Tilly off to an activity Monday morning, then someone to entertain her once home and give her lunch and then to come back after her snooze to do the late afternoon/tea shift.

Spoke to the Chemo unit who said to get my GP out to administer an anti-sickness injection. This was at 8am. She came out at 1.30 and said I was too ill, too dehydrated, I’d need to be admitted. So again wonderful friends to the rescue, Tilly off to the park, then off to tea and a night at another friend’s. We drove the 40mins to Bath (closely clutching a bucket) to A&E – the GP had rung ahead and faxed over info…this was lost in the system and so we waited to be seen. Finally, just as I lost my sense of humour about the whole thing and after what felt like too long, I had been given anti-sickness injections and was on a saline drip. Dr Claire and Nurse Victoria saved the day and about an hour later I was beginning to feel a little less terrible.

5 hours after arriving I was moved to a ward for an overnight stay. Great staff, lively inmates. From the drunk guy opposite with a freshly broken shoulder, to the confused elderly lady in the bed up the way who was so adamant on smoking that she lit up a cigarette while sitting in bed. The staff confiscated her packet of cigarettes and a lighter and told her to go to sleep. Over the next 6 hours they discovered a total of 10 lighters and another two packets of fags – you have to be impressed with her ingenuity! She spent the whole night trying to escape in order to catch the bus, and tried to get in my bed while I was in it. This all resulted in no one on the ward getting any sleep. Dan being home without either of his girls led to a pretty sleepless night for him too.

Meanwhile 4 bags of fluids and another anti-sickness injection later, I was feeling vaguely human. Back home and relieved to be so. I didn’t realise how ill I was until I began to feel better. We just assumed that this was how chemo made you feel. But it appears that I reacted badly, and that the anti-sickness drugs just weren’t the right ones for me. Hopefully they’ll be able to alter my medication for the better prior to the next session.